I love a slow cooker. There is nothing better than getting home at the end of a busy work day and knowing that dinner is ready for you- all you have to do is grab a couple of bowls and spoons, maybe a few garnishes, and boom- get thee to the dinner table.
This is one of our all-time favorite soup recipes. We don’t actually top it with tortilla chips to keep it healthy, and I always make enough for several days of lunch leftovers.
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 15 ounce can of black beans (or whatever type of beans you prefer)
- 1.5 cups frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce (or diced tomatoes, or fresh tomatoes, or whatever tomato product you have on hand)
- 4.5 ounce can of diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- optional garnishes: chopped cilantro, sour cream or Green yogurt, sliced avocado, pickled onions, green onions, tortilla chips or strips, sliced jalapenos
Directions: combine all ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for six hours. Shred the chicken (I do this by pulling the chicken breasts out and shredding them on a separate plate with a fork.) Add the chicken back to the slow cooker, stir to combine, and devour.